Here's what I did and it worked perfectly:
1. Got rid of all the mucking around I had done by removing the Cruzer from the computer; deleting any leftover references under My Computer/Properties/Devices; Uninstalling the software under Add/Remove Software. Re-booted.
2. Re-installed the SanDisk Windows
3. Plugged in the Cruzer.
4. Chose Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you
can select the driver you want.
5. Chose Hard disk controllers.
6. Chose SanDisk from the list of manufacturers
7. Chose Cruzer Micro USB-Flash-Drive from the device list.
8. Clicked Yes at the warning that I had picked the wrong driver.
When I went to My Computer, I could see the drive, browse and transfer files.
A better driver can be found on the Sandisk site for the "Family"
Already tried it? Give your review.